Marketing and Communications Specialist, Events Emphasis
The San Diego Workforce Partnership, Inc. (the Workforce Partnership) is a nonprofit entity chartered by the City and County of San Diego to administer employment and training programs that empower job seekers to meet the current and future workforce needs of employers in San Diego County.
- Manages the full event planning process, with clear project timelines and milestones, and management responsibility for the delivery and success of the events.
- Partners with colleagues to set and achieve clear vision, goals and objectives for each event. Enhances event experiences, bringing ideas to the table in order to deliver and achieve broader organizational goals.
- Sustains event budget and understands all elements of cost, allocation, account coding and following up on invoices. Strives for the best cost while still delivering a great experience.
- Liaises with external and internal suppliers, such as finance department, venue, AV, sign language interpreters and other vendors. Fosters relationships with key vendors to ensure positive collaboration, communication and event delivery.
- Develops and maintains event webpage and registration page.
- Coordinates event publicity, working with PR firm to draft press releases and media alerts and schedule interviews.
- Executes coordinated promotion campaigns on various channels, including but not limited to social media and email marketing.
- Manage all aspects of event committees and event volunteer coordination.
- Oversees day-of run-of-show logistics; serve as main day-of point of contact for venue staff, speakers, staff, volunteers and attendees.
- Coordinates sponsorship campaigns, including building target sponsor lists, developing sponsor offerings and pitches, coordinating executive outreach and managing delivery of benefits.
- Works with internal stakeholders to plan content and drive speaker bookings. Manages confirmed speakers.
- As a member of the marketing and communication team, serves as the liaison to several internal teams in support of their communications efforts.
- Develops and shares key messages for the organization through social media, events, website content, printed material, presentations, media outreach, etc.
- Uses social media as a communications tool to effectively tell our story, specifically related to events and community involvement.
- Designs, drafts and sends email communications using MailChimp.
- Write articles to be included in our monthly newsletter.
What You Bring
- At least two years of demonstrated experience in event coordination from planning to execution—an academic degree related to communications may be substituted for one year of relevant work experience
- Very organized: Skilled at tracking, managing, organizing, and ensure timely completion of projects and assignments
- Excellent communication skills including written (writing and editing), verbal and interpersonal
- Proactive, creative and self-motivated.
- Manages up effectively; willing to proactively raise issues and challenges and bring ideas, suggested next steps, and ideas to move projects and tasks forward.
- Passionate about the organization’s mission and able to communicate the philosophy, mission and values to external and internal audiences
- Empathic: Can see issues from multiple perspectives (job seekers, employers, elected officials, community members, service providers, etc.)
- Grit: Willing to put in the extra effort to make things better
- Open to feedback and input from staff, colleagues, and community stakeholders
- Creative: Proven ability to identify new methods, better approaches and integration of ideas
- Ability to think analytically, sustain relationships, balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Proficient in project management
- Ability to interface with leadership team, board members and community partners with high level of professionalism
- Existing positive working relationships with San Diego County venues and vendors a plus
- Experience with nonprofit events and sponsorships a plus
- Experience using Adobe InDesign and Photoshop to edit designed documents and templates a plus
We Love to Take Care of Our Workforce Associates – PTO, PTO sell-back program. Generous employer paid benefits (platinum plans), company-paid learning and professional development program, pension plan and 457 retirement plan. Additional employee wellness work driven by equity, diversity and inclusion (EDI) and activities committees.
The salary range for this position is $55,300-$65,300.
No phone calls accepted, Principals only.
At the Workforce Partnership, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, and the work that we do in the communities we serve. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace for all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.