Director of Programs
The San Diego Workforce Partnership, Inc. (SDWP) is a non-profit entity chartered by the City and County of San Diego to administer employment and training programs that empower job seekers to meet the current and future workforce needs of employers in San Diego County.
Our Position Summary
The Director of Programs will be a key member of SDWP’s leadership team, providing the overall direction and operational management of direct services and other programs for SDWP, primarily our Connect2Careers and other special youth-focused programs. The Director will proactively lead and execute solutions in a fast-paced multi-service environment and will ensure a high-performance, data-driven, outcomes-focused culture. The Director will be striving to connect deeply with the communities we serve and put the people we serve at the heart of our program management approach. The Director has responsibility for the department’s budget, performance and data-management, staffing, program implementation processes, as well as community partnerships and leading grant and revenue development opportunities.
The Director embodies continuous improvement and has an intuition for identifying ways to improve any and all aspects of our work – and making that happen directly and through the teamwork of others. The Director has experience with operations and people management, grant writing, program development, leading teams in achieving outcomes and will inspire others to exceed organization goals while constantly working to better understand the needs, challenges, and opportunities for the youth and communities we serve.
- Create and execute a comprehensive and coordinated approach across SDWP’s programs and funding streams to best serve the community with workforce solutions across the County
- Leads with a hands-on and highly supportive approach both with managers reporting to the Director and across all team members. Attracts, retains and develops a high-performing team.
- Drives accountability to implement written policies, procedures and performance measurements for all team members and vendors. Effectively communicates performance status up to SDWP leadership
- Craft and implement strategies to market and scale programs to meet goals
- Implement written policies, procedures and performance measurements
- Effectively communicates all relevant issues to SDWP leadership proactively
- Engage and connect with team and stakeholders to understand the needs, challenges, and opportunities for the youth and communities we serve
- Work with SDWP leadership to foster strong intra-agency collaborative and supportive team
- Lead with clarity to ensure a high-performance team
- Attract and develop an outstanding team of dedicated and effective professionals
- Develops strategic organizational plans for department
- Oversees multiple grant funding streams from a variety of County, City, private and philanthropic sources
- Manages and monitors performance within budget.
- Maintains internal controls, programmatic compliance and financial discipline
PERFORMANCE DATA & OUTCOMES MANAGEMENT
- Create and analyze program data, budgets, and performance
- Oversees accurate and thorough completion of data management
- Produces clear and creative reports to explain results
- Develops written policies and procedures, including workflow and user experience input
OUTREACH / COMMUNICATION
- In collaboration with communications/marketing and executive teams, creates and continually updates a robust and creative communication plan, including guides, delivers and evaluates the effectiveness of the communications plan
- Identifies funding sources (e.g., public, private, philanthropy)
- Creates and executes fund development strategy
- Writes grant proposals and secures funding for programs managed
- Creates, represents and fosters strong external partnerships
- Works proactively with public officials (i.e., elected leaders, community leaders, C-Suite leaders)
- Perform other duties as assigned
Your Experience & Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree required and/or combination of 6+ years of related management/director level experience, advanced degree and/or additional management experience preferred
- Experience working with special populations, diverse communities, and those with high barriers to employment
- Ability to read and interpret governmental statutes, regulations, and grants
- Managing, motivating and leading large, multi-functional teams of direct reports
- Strategic and operational planning and execution of public programs and/or workforce programs
- Designing and implementing outcomes/metrics measurement systems
- Outstanding writing, verbal, and presentation skills
- Skilled with Microsoft Office, CRM/Salesforce, database management, project management
- LEAN / Six Sigma and PMP certifications highly desired, but not required.
We Love to Take Care of Our SDWP Associates – PTO, PTO Sell-Back Program. Flex Work Schedules for certain roles, Generous Employer Paid Benefits (Platinum Plans), Learning and Professional Development company paid program. Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee, Activities Committee, Pension Plan, and 457 Retirement Plan. The salary range for this position is $90,500 to $110,500 annually.
No phone calls accepted, Principals only.
At SDWP, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, and the work that we do in the communities we serve. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace for all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.