Director of Programs
The San Diego Workforce Partnership, Inc. (Workforce Partnership) is a non-profit entity chartered by the City and County of San Diego to administer employment and training programs that empower job seekers to meet the current and future workforce needs of employers in San Diego County.
Our Position Summary
The Director of Programs will be a key member of Workforce Partnership’s leadership team, providing the overall direction and operational management of services and other programs for the Workforce Partnership, primarily our contracted Federal and State funded programs. The Director will proactively lead and execute solutions in a fast-paced multi-service environment and will ensure a high-performance, data-driven, outcomes-focused culture. The Director will be striving to connect deeply with the communities we serve and put the people we serve at the heart of our program management approach. The Director has responsibility for the department’s budget, performance and data-management, overseeing a network of contracted service providers, staffing, program implementation processes, as well as community partnerships and leading grant and revenue development opportunities.
The Director embodies continuous improvement and has an intuition for identifying ways to improve any and all aspects of our work – and making that happen directly and through the teamwork of others. The Director has experience with operations and people management, grant writing, program development, leading teams in achieving outcomes and will inspire others to exceed organization goals while constantly working to better understand the needs, challenges, and opportunities for the communities we serve.
- Creates and executes a comprehensive and coordinated approach across Workforce Partnership programs and funding streams to best serve the community with workforce solutions across the County
- Leads with a hands-on and highly supportive approach across managers reporting to the Director, all team members, and with other departments such as Finance, Marketing and Research.
- Drives accountability to implement written policies, procedures and performance measurements for all team members and vendors. Effectively communicates performance status up to Workforce Partnership leadership.
- Craft and implement strategies to market and scale programs to meet goals
- Effectively communicates all relevant issues to Workforce Partnership leadership proactively
- Engages and connects with team and stakeholders to understand the needs, challenges, and opportunities for the communities we serve
- Works with leadership to foster strong intra-agency collaboration and support from other departments to meet your team and company needs
- Attracts and develops an outstanding team of dedicated and effective professionals
- Develops strategic organizational plans for department
- Directs multiple grant programs from various Federal, State, County, City, private and philanthropic sources
- Manages and monitors performance within budget, ensuring all spend goals are met
- Maintains internal controls, programmatic compliance and financial discipline
PERFORMANCE DATA & OUTCOMES MANAGEMENT
- Creates and analyzes program data, budgets, and performance
- Oversees accurate and thorough completion of data management
- Produces clear and creative reports to explain results
- Develops written policies and procedures, including workflow and user experience input
OUTREACH / COMMUNICATION
- In collaboration with marketing/communications and executive teams, creates and continually updates a robust and creative communication plans and content
- Develops and evaluates the effectiveness of the communications plan to meet team’s goals
- Identifies funding sources (e.g., public, private, philanthropy)
- Creates and executes fund development strategy
- Writes grant proposals and secures funding for programs managed
- Creates, represents and fosters strong external partnerships
- Prepares presentations to Board members and is an ambassador for the organization
- Lead our Regional and Local Planning with Imperial County’s Workforce Development Board and other State required regional and local partners
- Works proactively with public officials (i.e., elected leaders, community leaders, C-Suite leaders) including representing the Workforce Partnership on key community Boards and committees
- Perform other duties as assigned
What You Bring
- Demonstrates vision, charisma and integrity
- Promotes constructive feedback to colleagues and stakeholders
- Willingness to do whatever it takes to deliver great results
- Empowers others to independently to seek out ways to improve all aspects of our work, both directly and through the teamwork of others
- Supportive leader with strong people management and development skills
- Asks “how might we improve?” and dives into how programs are run with ongoing focus on process improvement
- Skilled at tracking, managing, organizing, and ensuring the timely completion of multiple projects and assignments – for self and your team
- Passionate about Workforce Partnership’s vision, mission and values
Your Experience & Knowledge
- Bachelor’s degree required and/or combination of 6+ years of related senior management/director level experience (advanced degree and/or additional management experience preferred)
- Experience working with special populations, diverse communities, and those with high barriers to employment
- Ability to read and interpret governmental statutes, regulations, and grants
- Managing, motivating and leading large, multi-functional teams of direct reports
- Strategic and operational planning and execution of public programs and/or workforce programs
- Designing and implementing outcomes/metrics measurement systems
- Outstanding writing, verbal, and presentation skills
- Skilled with Microsoft Office, CRM/Salesforce, database management, project management
We Love to Take Care of Our Workforce Partnership Associates – PTO, PTO Sell-Back Program. Generous Employer Paid Benefits (Platinum Plans), Learning and Professional Development company paid program. Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Committee, Activities Committee, Pension Plan, and 457 Retirement Plan. The salary range for this position is $90,400 to $110,600 annually.
No phone calls accepted, Principals only.
At the Workforce Partnership, we don’t just accept difference — we celebrate it, we support it, and we thrive on it for the benefit of our employees, and the work that we do in the communities we serve. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace for all. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.