Director of Business Services
The San Diego Workforce Partnership, Inc. (SDWP) is a nonprofit that has worked to close the skills gap and create opportunity since 1974. With over 55 staff, over $30M in annual revenue, and serving over 70,000 individuals last year, we are a team of dynamic, entrepreneurial workforce development professionals who are committed to making an impact that matters for the community.
With this new position, SDWP is building on current programs to launch a new Business Services department. The objective is to execute an integrated employer engagement strategy to provide better, more effective talent services to local employers and to support industry sectors that drive San Diego’s economy.
This department will be led by the Director of Business Services and will oversee and pursue sector-focused funding while also supporting the goals of multiple program departments, including, but not limited to, the CONNECT2Careers youth employment program, SDWP’s TechHire initiative, direct services operated by contracted partners, and other program services.
We seek a creative, talented leader with strong project management experience to execute this bold vision of integrated business services.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement a business services team and system that serves SDWP’s programs and clients across a portfolio of business- and jobseeker-facing programs.
- Lead, develop, and implement grant-funded programs (private philanthropy, corporate philanthropy and government – federal, state, and local) to connect employers to skilled workers and visa versa.
- Empower a team of managers and specialists and instill accountability among team members to meet/exceed program goals.
- Design, write, secure, implement, manage, retain, and evaluate grants and new funding sources.
- Serve as expert to guide and provide actionable recommendations in all matters related to business services for SDWP leadership, the Workforce Development Board and Policy Board.
- Evaluate business programs, using data to continuously improve current services and develop new workforce development programs that benefit employers.
- Work with community partners to develop a coordinated, coherent approach to regional business services efforts, which includes the public workforce system, education and other partners.
- Develop relationships and maintain a strong presence with community stakeholders (e.g., public and private employers, education, community-based organizations, researchers, labor and workforce agencies)
- Serve as SDWP spokesperson through public presentations, media appearances and online presence.
- Incubate new approaches, partnering with employers, to meet the present and future hiring needs of growing industry sectors.
- Maintain thorough knowledge of all programs contractual obligations, including policies and procedures and applicable public workforce system regulations and legislation.
- Manage departmental budgets, procurement and operations.
- Supervise the planning and execution of events (e.g., business outreach, recruitment events).
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree and/or seven years+ management experience required. Master’s degree and/or equivalent management experience preferred
- Knowledge and experience managing workforce/economic development related programs, business-facing programs (or relevant public-sector management experience) highly desired, but not required
- Demonstrated experience in government program management, grant management and fiscal/budget management
- Skilled at developing and maintaining collaborative strategic relationships with businesses, government agencies, community groups, and other stakeholders to support program development and implementation
- Strategically focused—ability to identify strategies, plan for risks, implement effective solutions and drive for continuous improvement
- Mission driven—passionate about promoting and communicating the philosophy, mission and values to external and internal stakeholders
- Exceptionally organized–skilled at tracking, managing, organizing, and ensuring timely completion of projects and assignments – for self and those supervised
- Team oriented–works collaboratively with others and has exceptional capacity for building teams and leading people
- Creative–outstanding ability to identify new and innovative methods, better approaches and integration of best practices
- Results oriented—proven track record of achieving/exceeding goals; accepts feedback constructively
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills—skilled at presenting programs and communicating outcomes
Salary / Benefits
This position is a Level 7 (L7) in SDWP’s career path (levels 0-8). The salary range for (L7) is $90,000 - $130,000. New directors typically start at the lower end of this range, but salary is commensurate with experience, related skills and education. SDWP offers a competitive benefits package, generous PTO and 11 paid holidays.
Submit your resume and cover letter by clicking the "Apply Now" button or email your resume and cover letter to 87704B107E@jobs.workablemail.com, indicating Director of Business Services in the subject line, followed by your last and first name.
Employees are under an independent, merit-based personnel system and are not employees of the federal, state or local government. SDWP is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities.