CONNECT2Careers STEAM Coordinator
The San Diego Workforce Partnership, Inc. (SDWP) is a non-profit entity chartered by the City and County of San
Diego to administer employment and training programs that empower job seekers to meet the current and future
workforce needs of employers in San Diego County.
Job Duties & Responsibilities : The CONNECT2Careers STEAM Coordinator is the logistical lead for student workbased
learning and teacher professional development programs targeting San Diego County’s life sciences
The ideal candidate is committed to developing and inspiring the next generation of scientists and will strive to
increase the impact our programs have in San Diego communities.
SDWP’s CONNECT2Careers (C2C) program provides young adults ages 16–24 the opportunity to develop soft skills,
earn a paycheck, gain valuable work experience, and obtain exposure to various career pathways.
Employment in San Diego’s most prosperous sectors – life sciences, technology, clean energy, health care, and
advanced manufacturing – requires a strong foundation in STEAM, and so C2C has made it a priority to develop
pipelines for young adults to obtain the education and work experience necessary to enter and succeed in these
sectors. C2C’s STEAM-related programming targets both students/young adults and education professionals. Our
young adults strategies focus on job development, placement support, and business outreach, while our education
professionals strategies focus on teacher professional development and curriculum modification based in highdemand
• Coordinate program events including: biotech professional development workshops, focus and/or
evaluation groups, summer enrichment activities for student participants, networking events for teacher
participants, and a banquet/awards dinner graduation event.
• Ensure that community and business partners engaged and informed in decision making and project
• Contribute to progress reports used to update SDWP’s boards and committees and leadership team.
• Work with career technical education biotech programs to promote community college biotech programs
and provide speakers, site visits, internships, career readiness workshops, and teacher professional
• Promote biotech community college pathways through work-based learning opportunities and assist
colleges with placing students in employment.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Outreach and Recruitment
• Develop internship and work-based learning opportunities for student participants by connecting with key
industry people to engage and support the efforts of the program, and recruitment of teachers in the
• Work with SDWP’s Communications Team to update program marketing/outreach/ recruitment material.
• Work directly with manager/leadership to expand programming.
• Track goals and objectives for each grant/funding source and make sure they are being met.
• Update and maintain data related to program performance for grant reporting.
• Collect and maintain documents related to grant submission.
• Identify potential funding sources related to workforce development in the life sciences sector and other
• Support in grant writing.
• Passionate about and able to clearly articulate SDWP’s mission and vision.
• Bachelor’s degree or demonstrated relevant life experience in STEM/STEAM-related fields, workforce
development, economic development, marketing, business outreach and/or public program
administration. Master’s degree a plus.
• Clear written and oral communication; Skilled at presentations.
• Strong attention to detail; Ability to think and work independently, solve problems, and collaborate with
• Strong ability to build relationships across diverse stakeholders, such as high school and college students,
teachers and education professionals, businesses, and funders.
• Effective marketing and outreach skills; Experience representing/marketing a program to stakeholders,
potential funders, and clients.
• Ability to analyze programs, identify issues/inefficiencies, and develop solutions.
• Familiarity with STEM/STEAM career pathways a plus.
• Past experience writing grants a plus.
• Skilled with Microsoft Office, project management, database management.
• Must be able to travel with use of personal vehicle.
Salary to commensurate with work experience, skills and education. SDWP offers a competitive benefits package, generous PTO and 11 paid holidays.