Director of Human Resources
The San Diego Workforce Partnership, Inc. (SDWP) is a nonprofit that has worked to close the skills gap and create opportunity since 1974. SDWP is an organization of more than 55 staff and $35M in annual revenue that serves some 70,000 individuals and rising yearly; we are a team of dynamic, entrepreneurial workforce development professionals that aspire to create value and impact one project at a time. As a regional and field leader in workforce development, we aspire for our human resources practices and policies to be a model for other nonprofit organizations, and we know that our people are the source of our success. Highlights of our work include:
- Building a Strong Workforce: Together with community partners, SDWP provides targeted employment services designed to help job seekers identify, or regain, a career of their choosing. Additionally, SDWP’s network of America’s Job Center of California sites provide a wide variety of employment services (e.g., career assessment, job training and job search assistance.) We also work directly with employers to meet their unique staffing needs.
- Convening and Leading: SDWP hosts two large conferences annually. Our Spring conference is focused on ‘opportunity youth’ – identifying plans, partners and strategies in order to ‘Flip The Script’ and provide ways to go from disconnection to opportunity. Our Fall conference focuses on our new and updated research on our region’s sectors and career pathways.
- Understanding Our Future Workforce: SDWP conducts ongoing labor market research and produces reports and newsletters in order to understand our economy and employers – and then inform our participants about career options and pathways.
- Training Our Future Workforce: SDWP funds programs that provide work-readiness training to young adults (16-24) with an emphasis on low-income households as well as those who are at risk of dropping out of school. The goal is to support high school graduation, post-secondary education, a greater understanding of varied career pathways, and, ultimately, a career. SDWP also administers targeted employment programs CONNECT2Careers and the Life Sciences Summer Institute.
- More information is available at www.workforce.org.
Overview of Position Responsiblities
The SDWP leadership team has identified attracting, supporting, equipping, and growing talent as one of its three strategic priorities for the coming years. To help lead this strategic priority the organization is looking for a talented and experienced HR Director to partner with the leadership team, support this strategic priority, and help support our organization’s biggest asset…“Our People”.
- Serve as a consistent force for positive continuous improvement for our organization's people, processes and workflow while ensuring adherence to applicable policies, rules and regulations Proactively seek out opportunities for continuous improvement to identify ways to improve any aspect of our work - delivering results through collaboration, role modeling and servant leadership.
- Proactively lead, collaborate, and deliver results in a multi-service environment and ensure a high-performance culture. Track and report on strategic HR Key Performance Indicators including employee recruitment, retention, engagement/satisfaction, professional development; makes recommendations to cultivate a thriving, high-performance culture.
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion (EDI): SDWP believes that a diverse set of ideas, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives are critical to the organizations success. This position will lead and support strategic efforts to foster policies, practices, systems, and training that attracts, supports, and encourages an equitable, diverse, and inclusive workplace.
Human Resources Team Management
- Demonstrated experience, effectiveness and creativity in managing a comprehensive HR program.
- Oversee all HR initiatives, systems, transactions, tactics, forms, benefits and employee files.
- Administer perfomance review process – annual and ongoing.
- Coordinate and update employee handbook, policies and procedures.
- Implement Affordable Care Act and benefit enrollment.
- Ensure streamlined recruiting, onboarding and tracking.
- Develop and coordinate job descriptions and compensation reviews/comparisons.
- Coordinate intern program, policies and practices.
- Support and help lead employee engagement programs.
- Coordinate and update other handbooks (e.g., injury and illness prevention, etc.)
- Support and collaborate with staff to streamline processes and systems.
- Develop plans for a variety of HR matters such as compensation, benefits, health and safety etc.
- Monitor adherence to internal policies and legal requirements.
- Deal with grievances and violations, and disciplinary action.
- Anticipate and resolve litigation risks.
- Oversee and support SDWP’s facilities, promoting a clean, healthy, and creative workplace for SDWP and partner organization’s staff.
- Outstanding ability to identify new methods, better approaches, and integration of ideas from others.
- Find and lead solutions to a myriad of challenges and opportunities.
- Proactively lead, collaborate, and deliver results in a multi-service environment.
- Embodies continuous improvement and has an intuition for identifying ways to improve any and all aspects of our work – and making that happen directly and/or through the teamwork of others.
- Innovative thinker, with a track record for translating strategy into action plans and outcomes.
- A great eye for detail and ideas for improvement on writing content, and aesthetics.
- Very effective at ‘managing up’ - providing concise, timely, relevant information.
- Demonstrated skill and comfort in proactively building relationships with diverse staff.
- Able to identify strategies and effective solutions when starting from only concept or idea.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills.
- Excellent conflict resolution skills.
- Stature, gravitas, and confidence to gain the credibility and respect of C-level leaders.
- Persuasive, thorough, and proactive communicator.
- Self reliant, excellent problem solver, results oriented.
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive.
- A team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical initiatives.
- Ensures efficient and effective systems that optimize productivity.
- Strategic leader with experience supporting and developing a high performance culture.
- Consistently makes good decisions through a combination of analysis, experience, and judgment.
- Demonstrates integrity, strives for excellence in her/his work.
- Experience leading others to new levels of effectiveness and impact.
- Passionate about the SDWP mission and able to promote and communicate the philosophy, mission and values to external and internal stakeholders.
- Bachelor’s Degree in HR or related field, MBA (optional), PHR certification a plus.
- Minimum 5 years demonstrated progressive experience in HR management, strategy and implementation.
- Thorough knowledge of California and Federal labor laws.
- Proven supervisor of administrative and support staff and leadership to improve productivity and mitigate risk.
- Experience with nonprofit organizations, overseeing total staff over 55 personnel.
- Identify, assess and lead solutions to a myriad of challenges and opportunities.
Target salary range is between $90,000 - $100,000 with applicable work experience, skills, and education. SDWP offers a competitive benefits package, generous PTO and 11 paid holidays.
When sending your e-mail, send your resume and cover letter and indicate HR Director – 2017 in the subject line, followed by your last and first name.